07 August 2011

Beijing is big

After unpacking and arranging our house, it was time to do something nice. Why not to go to Beijing for couple of days?

Weather forecast didn't look very promising, but since it hardly ever turns out to be true, we hoped for the best.

We took the bullet train, the (very) fast train between Shanghai and Beijing. It took me some time to get used to average speed of 306 km/h that was displayed in the wagon. But after two hours I stopped thinking about it:)
It is a very convenient way of traveling since it takes only 5,5h and it is 1318km distance. And it is definitely part of Chinese charm and a way of meeting Chinese people.

Our wagon was almost empty, so it felt very comfortable, also with our 4 months old baby. I got very surprised when on the way to the restaurant I passed few wagons fully packed. They were very crowded (obviously), laud and smelled with all kinds of food. In the aisle of every wagon you can find a tap with cold and hot drinking water. The hot water is used by passengers very often to make an instant soup. One soup - ok, but 100 of them give a really heavy mixture in the air. I said to Rodrigo that I am very happy with our places. Of course on the way back from Beijing our wagon looked exactly as I described it above - crowded, laud and filled with smell of all kinds of all kinds of food...

Beijing is huge. It is enormous. Its main avenue is 40 km long and 50 m wide. 8 lanes each way...
One day, me and my mom decided to walk back to the hotel with Marcel in the carriage. He was sleeping and we like walking... On the map it didn't look too far away. And since we like walking...
After three hours walking we haven't even made 1/3 of the distance... We tried to catch a cab, but for some reason any of the empty ones (they were only 5 by the way) didn't want to stop...
We took a bus and two subway lines and after one more hour we got back to the hotel. A very happy moment for our feet :)

1 comment:

Eva-Lena said...

How great to have a blog in English... :-) And I do recognize Beijing in your description... I remember the toughest was to cross the street as no greenlights.. and never ever did the traffic stop!